The Ashram is working on the following objectives since 1940:
- To operationalise the Gandhian vision of Gram Swaraj by promoting constructive training, demonstration and development programmes
- To enable the villagers to produce their own clothing by spinning and weaving with hand spun yarn
- To promote an appropriate educational system suited to rural realities based on the Gandhian concept of Basic Education
- To eradicate the evil of untouchability and to propagate Adult Literacy
- To train the rural people to keep their villages clean.
- To improve agricultural practices and to teach villagers to produce nutritive food grains
- To educate people on the dangers of alcoholism and wean them away from liquor
- To achieve all of the above to create a village reconstruction army.